Fostering in York
People like you could make a real difference by giving a child in care a loving home and a brighter future.
York is looking for foster carers who are able to care for :
- Brothers and sisters.
- Older children and young people, including those who may challenge.
- Young people with additional needs.
- Young people seeking asylum.
York values the contribution of its carers highly and offers a generous support package to reflect this. This includes :
- Generous financial allowances, which include holiday payments, birthday and festival allowances, dependent on your skill level and the age and needs of the child/young person
- Max Card giving free and discounted access to Yorkshire attractions including The Jorvik Centre and the York Dungeon
- Comprehensive training programme including the ‘Skills to Foster’ preparation training and ongoing development opportunities, as well as links to our higher education colleges
- A worker specifically allocated to you as well as professional advice from specialist fostering support workers. You’ll have regular meetings when you can chat about anything relating to the foster placement including talking through any problems and sharing information about your child or young person
- Close working relationships with the child’s social worker
- Membership to the Fostering Network which provides support, advice and professional insurance for foster carers
- All the equipment you need such as bedroom furniture or baby equipment
- Settling-in grants to provide the child or young person with what they need when they first arrive
- A fantastic opportunity to join a thriving foster care association, a great source of peer support and access to social events
- And above all, an opportunity to make a lasting difference to the life of a local child
If you’ve ever thought of fostering and want to know more, we’d love to hear from you!