Fostering in Leeds
As Leeds is the second largest local authority in England we naturally have a high number of looked after children. We want to find safe and loving homes for all of these children and young people.
In Leeds we would particularly like to recruit foster carers who are able to care for:
- Young people aged 5 – 17 years old
- Larger sibling groups
- Children & young people who are disabled and/or have complex needs
- Unaccompanied asylum seeking children (16Years old and above)
Here at Leeds we welcome enquiries from people of all religions, races, sexualities. Our foster carers reflect a wide range of circumstances and life experiences. You may be married, in a relationship, divorced, widowed, employed or unemployed –we access every application on an individual basis.
Leeds City Council values the contribution of their foster carers and offers a generous support package. This includes:
- Fostering fees and allowances which will depend on your skill level and the age of the child you are fostering.
Age of Child
- 0-4 Years old: £142.86 P/W
- 5-10 Years old: £162.73 P/W
- 11-15 Years old: £202.58 P/W
- 16 Years +: £264.44 P/W
Carer Skill Level (Fee)
- Level 1 : No Fee
- Level 2: £121.20 P/W per child
- Level 3: £171.70 P/W per child
- Level 4: £220.20 P/W per child
(Tax free allowance of £10,000 per year)
- Comprehensive training programme including the ‘Journey to Foster’ preparatory course and ongoing development opportunities.
- A Fostering (Supervising) Social Worker specifically allocated to you. You will receive minimum monthly support visits which are a chance for you to talk through any problems and share information about children in your care. Additional visits are available.
- Carer support groups (throughout the city).
- Birth children support groups.
- Access to therapeutic support services.
- Access to educational support services.
- Free Membership of the Leeds Foster Carer Association who offer an ‘out of hours’ support telephone service.
- Free Membership to the ‘Fostering Network’ which is a great resource for foster carers.
- Free ‘gym & swim’ membership for all carers and birth/foster children aged 7-18 years at all Leeds City Council Leisure Centres.
- A large range of family friendly free or discounted activities across the city.
- We also match the financial packages offered by independent fostering agencies, so if you are already an approved foster carer with an independent agency and live in or around Leeds we would love to speak to you about what we can offer.
If you’d like to get in contact with foster4leeds you can make an enquiry here and someone will be in touch.